Welcome to the New Erie County Clerk Help Desk! - Erie County Clerk Michael P. Kearns

Where can I get a copy of my birth certificate?

Where can I get a motor vehicle accident report?

Under circumstances where the property damage exceeds a certain statutory limit, all of the drivers involved are required to file a Report of Motor Vehicle Accident, available through the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles.  Under other circumstances, the accident reports are issued by the responding police force and can be obtained from  the municipality where the accident occurred.  In addition, for a limited time, you may obtain a Report from the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles.  More information may be found here.

Where can I get a copy of my birth certificate?

Birth records are available through the Registrar of Vital Statistics in the city or town where the birth occurred.  For those born in the City of Buffalo, the record may be requested by contacting the City of Buffalo, Vital Records Office at (716) 851-5432. Their office is located in City Hall, 65 Niagara Square, Buffalo NY 14202.


  • Enclose a written request with the following information: name on birth certificate, date of birth, father's name and mother's maiden name
  • Enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope
  • Money order in the amount of $10.00 payable to the City Clerk
  • Copy of valid identification (Refer to link below)
  • Proof of address if your address on your ID is not current

For further information, please go to:


You may also contact the New York State Health Department for information on such records by visitingwww.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/consumer/vr.htm.

The New York State Department of Health does not accept credit cards or on-line orders for vital records. However, for your convenience, you can process on-line requests through VitalChek Network, Inc., an independent company that NYS has partnered with in order to provide this service. VitalChek can be reached either through its website, www.vitalchek.com, or by phone at 1-877-854-4481. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service. VitalChek accepts all major credit cards.

Creation date: 6/21/2022 3:43 PM      Updated: 6/21/2022 3:43 PM