- Change or Discontinue a Business
- Business Certificate Filings (DBA)
- General Partnerships, LLC & Corporations
- Record a Deed
- Record a Mortgage
- Mortgage Discharges/Satisfactions
- Land Record Forms
- Land Record Fees
- Application Help
- Firearm Transactions
- Pistol Permit ReCertification
- Pistol Permit Forms
- Pistol Permit Fees
How to Register a Vehicle
- A photocopy or original NYS driver’s license or permit. If you do not have one, we can accept copies of other proofs of identity as long as they add up to six points based on the values listed on form id-82.
- If the vehicle in question is not titled in your name you must provide the original title along with your paperwork.
- The proof of ownership of the vehicle (NYS or out-of-state title). This must be signed by both buyer and seller! If you already have the vehicle in question titled in only your name (for example a seasonal vehicle you temporarily took off the road and want to re-register, or you had previously applied for and received a title only and no registration), we do not need proof of ownership. If multiple people are listed on the title and you are not the first party named on the title, you must submit a copy of the title.
- A bill of sale showing your purchase price of the vehicle. A handwritten bill of sale is acceptable, or you can use DMV's fill-in-the-blank bill of sale form, mv-912.
- A completed “vehicle registration/title application,” DMV form mv-82. Fill this out completely and sign it on the back! Provide a phone number we can easily reach you at in the appropriate section is crucial for accurate mail processing. • a completed sales tax form, dtf-802. Please note that if the vehicle is a model year 2014 or newer or it is a gift, the seller must also sign this form.
- Proof of New York state insurance on the vehicle. Check the effective date on the insurance card – we cannot process a registration until insurance is in effect.
NOTE: IF YOU ARE TRANSFERRING PLATES, YOU MUST CHECK THE “TRANSFER PLATES” CHECKBOX AT THE TOP OF MV-82 AND PROVIDE THE PLATE NUMBER. IF YOU DO NOT, WE WILL ISSUE AND CHARGE YOU FOR NEW LICENSE PLATES!
NEW TITLES ARE ISSUED DIRECTLY BY NYS DMV IN ALBANY AND MAY NOT BE RECEIVED FOR UP TO 90 DAYS AFTER YOUR VEHICLE IS REGISTERED. YOU CAN CHECK THE MAILING STATUS OF YOUR TITLE AT THE STATE DMV WEBSITE AT HTTPS://PROCESS.DMV.NY.GOV/TITLESTATUS/.
See more information about
Click here for a complete list of Vehicle Registration Instructions.
For in-person office visits we strongly suggest making an appointment as customers with a reservation will take priority over walk-ins. Schedule Your Reservation Now!*Did you know that $0.00 remains in Erie County when doing DMV transactions online? Make an Appointment with us Today and keep your money in Erie County!