Welcome to the New Erie County Clerk Help Desk! - Erie County Clerk Michael P. Kearns

How to apply for Veteran Status Designation?

If you are a qualified U.S. military veteran who was honorably discharged, and you have a NY State driver's license, learner permit, or non-driver photo ID card, you can have the word "Veteran" printed on the upper left hand of your photo document.

There is NO additional fee for the veteran status designation on your document.

After you receive the veteran designation, it will automatically be on all of your future DMV documents (when you replace or renew).

To apply, you must provide proof of an honorable discharge

Acceptable proofs are:

  • a U.S. Department of Defense Form DD-214 that indicates an honorable discharge
  • a form DD-215 that indicates an honorable discharge
  • if discharged before January 1, 1950, an Honorable Discharge form WD AGO 53, WD AGO 55, WD AGO 53-55, NAVPERS 553, NAVMC 78PD or NAVCG 553, or an "Enlisted Separation Paper"
  • a Certification of Military Service (NA FORM 13038) that indicates a discharge that is either "honorable"  or "under honorable conditions"
Creation date: 6/21/2022 2:35 PM      Updated: 6/21/2022 2:35 PM